What's Food Information Regulation for Customers?
From today, the new Food Information Regulation, in short the FIR, comes into effect. The ordinance regulates the labeling of food again. The already-adopted 2011 Regulation is applicable in all EU Member States and food business operators at all stages of production for products that are intended for the end user. The new regulation borrows parts of the already existing legislation. The significant changes and enhancements are designed to provide more transparency to the consumer on all packaged and open foods. The product information should be clear, comprehensive and accurately available for consumers according to this regulation.
For you as a company in the food industry FIR contains important new rules that you have to implement. At the center of the new regulation is the provision of important product information that must be secured over the entire course of the production to the end-consumer. No matter where you are in this production process as a company, you rely on this data.
What does this mean?
The main provisions include:
- It also applies to distance selling where experience has shown the risks of fraud: in online trading it is mandatory to make all the particulars available before the completion of the purchase, with the exception of the date of minimum durability and the expiry date.
- Product name, net quantity and durability date
- Specification and readability of the ingredients (eg font size must be clearly visible).
- Improved allergen labeling of pre-packaged and open foods: must be clearly highlighted
- Clear labeling of food imitations (eg "imitation cheese")
- Origin labeling (from April 2015): applies to all foods. Especially with meat (previously only for beef, now for pre-packaged and unprocessed pig, sheep, goat and poultry meat) - labeling of the rearing and slaughter place.
- Identification of joined meat / fish pieces
- Nutrition declaration (Big 7): Information on energy content and the amounts of fat, saturates, carbohydrates, sugars, protein and salt The mandatory nutrition labeling shall apply from 12/13/2016.
How can ecratum help you?
ecratum already has numerous companies from the food industry on its platform who use ecratum to manage their data and documents for raw materials of all kinds effectively and systematically. Food companies, suppliers and distributors work together with ecratum on the basis of shared information and data exchange and can thus share the quality and the transparency of information and documents.
- With ecratum you can easily send online request to your suppliers for all product or raw material-related documents, and stay up to date.
- ecratum reminds your suppliers of overdue or expired document- and certificate requests.
- The suppliers and dealers upload your documents themselves and fulfill your responsibility of data provision. ecratum remains free for your suppliers and distributors.
- You benefit from our systematic and automated work processes, saving time and administrative costs.
- You can be assured at all times that all the required data that you need to implement and comply with the FIR, are available.
- With our filter and search function, you can always quickly access your data.
- You can also download an overview of your data, as a CSV file, for internal processing.
For questions about how ecratum can help you within the FIR, please register for an free online demonstration.