Quality Management (QM) is an important aspect of every business to ensure and improve the quality of their products, services and internal processes. In some industries such as pharmaceutical and food manufacturing, the introduction of a Quality Management System (QMS) is a legal requirement.
A few certifiable standards exist to define minimum requirements for an effective quality management system, regularly evaluated during audits. One of the most frequent standard certification for businesses in quality management is EN ISO 9001.
What is ISO 9001?
ISO 9001 provides organizations with quality systems to improve management processes to compete locally and/or globally. The ISO 9001 certificate is for organisations of all sizes across all industry sectors and implement the basis for a continuous improvement process
The actual version is ISO 9001:2015. Further information and details on the most important changes since the last version ISO 9001:2008 can be found here.
Standards for the certification is being developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). ISO is an independent, non-governmental membership organization.
Third-party certification bodies provide independent confirmation that organizations meet the requirements of ISO 9001. In other words, certification is performed by external certification bodies, without which a company or organization cannot be certified by ISO.
To request an ISO 9001 Certificate from a business partner, you will need:
- The complete legal name and address of the organization being certified
- The complete name of the certification
- The name of the product being certified
- The unique certificate number. This is usually the identifier of the certification and is used for cross-checking with the certifying organization.
- The validity of the certificate, based on the date of expiry
How to check an ISO 9001 document:
- Is the document still valid ?
The documents runs a 3 years validation cycle :
- certification audit
- 1. year monitoring audit
- 2. year monitoring audit
- 3. year recertification audit
- Who audited for the last time? (organization or name)
- Authenticity check
How is the overall appearance ? Is there any visible signs of manipulation?
You want to know how to collect and kepp up-to-date all of the certificates from your suppliers? Learn more about ecratum in a free online presentation: